2. Explore Your Topic
After thoroughly examining your assignment, now it's time to look for some initial background research on your topic. Try a search in the following database to learn more about your topic.
Questions to Ask Yourself
After you take a look at Novels for Students, start to think about how the background research you completed relates to your research question:
- Discuss how Charles Dickens uses children to advance his purpose in A Christmas Carol.
- Argue why The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a prime example of a Victorian fin de siècle novel.
- Use one of the assigned novels to discuss the divides in Victorian London's social classes.
- Use one of the assigned novels to discuss the literary change from Romanticism's ideals to the Victorian's reaction to daily living.
- Use one of the assigned novels to discuss how the Gothic elements enhance the plot and characterization.